Summer project experience at ACCC

SUMMER PROJECT EXPERIENCE AT ACCC

Sudha Kottillil


My experience at ATREE – Agasthyamalai Community Conservation Centre (ACCC) is something that I will never forget. There were a lot of “firsts” during my stay there, from my first wild King Cobra, wild leopard sighting, trek through tropical rainforest and many more. The amazing part of it all was that the place is teeming with wildlife, a lot of which is endemic to the region. Let me begin by describing the place, a place that is far from the hustle and bustle of a city with people who are friendly, laid back and the silence that is so hard to come by in cities. Initially, it took me some time to get used to the silence and finally when I did, going back to the city with all its commotion, malls and buildings became least attractive. I loved the open space, the beautiful hues of the sky and the star-filled night sky all of which are missing in cities. Most importantly, the food in Tirunelveli is the best in Tamil Nadu, especially Kothu Parotta, Parotta and chicken curries! I was able to see and spot a lot more wildlife inside the ATREE-ACCC campus than I did during a trek into the forest. Francolins (Francolinus pondicerianus), Common Krait (Bungarus caeruleus), Bronze back (Dendrelaphis tristis), Spectacled Cobra (Naja naja), Spotted owlet (Athene brama), Russel’s Kukri (Oligodon taeniolatus), Common Sand Boa (Eryx conicus), Red-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus cafer) etc. (the list could go on) would definitely be there to welcome researchers coming to stay. I was able to see all these and more during my stay in the months of May and June when there were only random episodes of rains. I can only imagine the beauty of the place when it’s monsoon – a must-visit for wildlife and nature lovers! 
               
                                     ATREE-ACCC                                                                                          Common Krait 


I had come to ATREE-ACCC for my minor project as part of my Postgraduate studies and was working on the distribution of Owl species along the Kalakad – Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve’s Forest edge. It did indeed involve a lot of travelling at night as these animals are nocturnal. The night work brought with it its own adventures – Sambar deer (Rusa unicolor), Nightjars (Caprimulgus asiaticus), Leopard (Panthera pardus) sightings, Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus) scares, Eagle Owl (Bubo bengalensis) and many more. The wild leopard sighting right opposite to a school close to ACCC after one of the owl distribution study work came by as a huge surprise and everyone including me couldn’t control our excitement. The forest indeed comes alive at night and is a lot of fun to explore with experts who are experienced and knowledgeable. The experience of undertaking a 10km trek up the Naraikadu forest was very hard and at the same time equally rewarding. Swinging Nilgiri langurs (Semnopithecus johnii), Malabar Whistling Thrush (Myophonus horsfieldii), Hump nosed pit viper (Hypnale hypnale), Damsel files, Southern Birdwing Butterfly (Troides minos), Bronzed frog (Hylarana temporalis), Golden frog (Indosylvirana aurantiaca), and the beautiful views welcomed us during the trek up to the house located on one of the peaks. The fresh, clean air, drinking water directly from streams, the trek couldn’t get any better! The night spent inside the forest (again a first) was fun, with howls of wild dogs, the constant sound of raindrops along with the whistling of the thrush was all that I had imagined about a forest at night. I was lucky to have had an opportunity to spent a night at the forest which is something not all the interns get, as Naraikadu is not accessible to the public and there are restrictions with regard to the season during which one can trek there. Fresh leopard scats, elephant dung and sloth bear pellets would become a common sight and we got a glimpse of the elusive King Cobra on our way back. I was looking forward to Malabar Pit viper and Lion Tailed Macaque sightings which unfortunately I wouldn’t but all the wildlife sightings more than made up for it. 
     
                                     Naraikadu                                                                         Naraikadu


The time spent that ACCC was memorable and I was able to learn a lot from the experts in the field. The interactions I had with school children were both amusing and fun, and it felt wonderful to be a part of Nature walks and Wildcamps that are organized frequently. The researchers and experts at ACCC are working hard to ensure that the children from all age groups and schools are aware of the rich biodiversity that exists in the region and create awareness about protecting the same. It was a privilege for me to able to have undertaken my project there and also become a part of the day to day activities of the organization, which was indeed the highlight for me!  

Comments

Popular Posts